• An Alzheimer’s Association caregiver support group will meet Thursday, Aug. 19 at 10 a.m. at 55 Kip Center, 55 Kip Ave., Rutherford.
• VFW Post 4697 will meet Thursday, Aug. 19 at 8 p.m. at 222 River Road, North Arlington. Call 201-991-9597. All veterans are welcome. Bring your DD214.
• A job seekers support group will meet Thursday, Aug. 19 at 7:30 p.m. at
Rutherford Congregational Church, 251 Union Ave. in Rutherford. This
meeting will especially focus on résumé writing and job interviewing
• St. Michael’s Feast Day will be held Friday, Aug. 20, 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. and Saturday, Aug. 21, 12 p.m. to 8 p.m., at Lyndhurst Town Hall Park, Lyndhurst. Food provided by local restaurants, kiddie rides, games of chance and 50/50 raffle. The Devotions will appear Friday night.
• The Knights will hold their annual picnic beginning at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 22 at the KofC Hall, 194 River Road, North Arlington. Tickets will be available through the officers and at the council hall. Cost is $10 for adults, $5 for children under 12, $25 for a family of four (parents and children). Call Bob Rogan at 201-390-3359 for tickets. Come out and enjoy the afternoon with good food, good friends, good times. Music will be provided by DJ Music.
• The Lyndhurst Library will host a bracelet-making class for young adults (sixth-12th grades) on Monday, Aug. 23 at 2 p.m. Create beautiful bracelets using beads and colorful string. This program is free and registration is necessary by Wednesday, Aug. 18. To register, please call the library’s Reference/Young Adult Department at 201-804-2478 ext. 4.
• The John F. Kennedy Memorial Library of Wallington is pleased to announce it will host a Story Time for ages 5-8 Wednesday, Aug. 25 at 3 p.m. A Tween Time will be held for ages 9-12 Thursday, Aug. 26 at 6:30 p.m. 125 Main St., Wallington.
• Rutherford High School’s All Sports Booster Club will sponsor a Bulldog stencil drive. Stencils of the Bulldog head and/or paw prints will be available to be stenciled on your driveway.
The All Sports Boosters Club has been an active organization for more than 35 years. The proceeds of this fund-raiser will go toward the Harry Pappas scholarship fund. Stencils are available in blue or white. Bulldog head is $20, large paw print is $10, small paw is $5.
To place order e-mail email@example.com or call 201-935-0665.
• A reunion picnic for Lyndhurst High School Class of 1952 will be held Wednesday, Sept. 15 at noon in Fairfield. Call Ken at 973-227-1770 or Connie at 201-438-5269.
• There will be a Jersey City Junction Saturday, Sept. 11 at Monmouth Park in Oceanport. $35 per person (12 and under is free). Beer, wine, soda, food. 10 exciting races starting at 1 p.m. Party from 11 a.m. until 7 p.m. For more information call Willy McGuire at 201-955-2520 or Gene Scheurer at 732-530-6440.
• Lyndhurst High School Class of 1980 will celebrate its 30-year reunion Sept. 18 from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. at Martel’s Tiki Bar on the boardwalk in Point Pleasant. E-mail LHSclassof80@gmail.com. Facebook page: Lhsreunion.
• The Association of the Sons of Poland assists those in New Jersey who have special needs. Throughout August and September, donations may be brought to 333 Hackensack St., Carlstadt, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Needed are used eyeglasses and unused toiletries. Donations will be brought to the New Jersey Fraternal Congress Convention. Call 201-935-2807.
• If your child needs school supplies, please visit the Lyndhurst Health Department for a free backpack. These backpacks were donated by residents and businesses in the community so that all needy Lyndhurst children can have a new backpack. If you would like your child to receive a free backpack, please visit the Lyndhurst Health Department at 253 Stuyvesant Ave., Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• GainVille Café Poetry Open Mic will be held Friday, Aug. 27, 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. The Rutherford Red Wheelbarrow Poets will appear once again at GainVille Café with an opening musical act. Admission is $5 and includes coffee/tea and a delicious pastry. All are welcome. 17 Ames Ave., Rutherford. Call 201-507-1800.
• Registrations for the Wallington Junior Football League and Wallington Junior Cheerleaders 2010 season are underway. Applications will be accepted until Aug. 31. Registration fees are as follows: $15 per child for flag football (ages 5 and 6); $40 per child for junior football (ages 7-14); $50 per child for cheerleading (grades 3-8).
Registration forms can be printed at http://leaguelineup.com/welcome.asp?url=wallingtonjrpanthers on the left side under Handouts/Forms. Call Roman Kruk at 201-615-8260, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Atlantic City trips
• Mary Lou Mullins monthly bus trip to Atlantic City will take place Sunday, Aug. 29. Cost to go to Resorts is $25 cash with $22 return. Leaves St. Michael’s parking lot in Lyndhurst at 10:30 a.m. Call 201-933-2186.
• Wallington Senior Civic Center will host an Atlantic City casino bus trip Thursday, Aug. 26. Leaves VFW parking lot at 8 a.m. $23, with $25 return. Going to Resorts. Call 973-777-5815 or 973-778-6535.
• The First Presbyterian Church of Rutherford is sponsoring a 14-week Bible in 90 Days Challenge Program starting with an introductory session Sunday, Sept. 12 at 11:30 a.m. Participants in the program will read the entire Bible from cover to cover by reading only 12 pages a day and are welcomed and encouraged to attend the one hour weekly group session designed to review the week’s assigned readings and foster discussion.
The program is currently scheduled to complete before Christmas. There is no charge for the course and enrollment is open until Friday, Aug. 27 through the church Web site at www.fpcrutherford.org or by contacting the church office at 201-438-3569.
For more information you can also visit www.Biblein90Days.org or e-mail the church at email@example.com. You do not need to be a member of the church to participate.
• The Lyndhurst Emblem Club #72 is selling 2011 Entertainment books for Bergen and Essex counties for $30. Call 201-939-7313.
• The Lyndhurst Library is once again offering free ESL classes to the public starting in September. We have openings in our advanced classes which include training for the TOEFL exam.
There is currently a wait list for the beginner and intermediate classes. Registration forms will be available at the library’s Adult Circulation Desk. Classes will last for about 10 sessions. For more information, call Donna at 201-804-2478 ext. 7.
Stop identity theft
• The Bergen County Utilities Authority and Lyndhurst DPW Recycling Department will sponsor a one-day event where you can have your important documents shredded by a mobile on-site shredding truck. All Lyndhurst residents will be provided the opportunity to observe their documents being shredded on-site. The documents will be limited to confidential/sensitive materials only.
There is no need to remove paperclips, staples or paperboard binder covers. No hardcover books, magazines, newspapers, photographs or X-rays will be allowed. The event will take place Sept. 18, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., at the Little League field parking lot on Riverside Avenue. Rain or shine.
• Commissioner Tom DiMaggio, director of the Department of Parks and Recreation, announces a shopping trip for Lyndhurst senior citizens Friday, Sept. 10. The trip will be to the outlets in Tinton Falls. The bus will leave NJ Transit Parking lot at 9 a.m. and return approximately 3 p.m. Call the Parks Department to sign up.
• East Rutherford Seniors, Inc. will hold its annual picnic at its next meeting on Tuesday, Aug. 24 at noon. Only members invited. Next senior bus trip is scheduled for Sept. 15 at Ehrhardt’s in Hawley, Pa. — an Italian festival/show, plus open bar and family-style luncheon. Tickets are $36. Call Barbara at 201-438-6595.
Yoga, Zumba classes
• The Lyndhurst Health Department, in partnership with the Meadowlands Area YMCA, is pleased to announce that registration has begun for its fall yoga and Zumba classes. Classes will be held at the health department, starting the week of Sept. 20. Chair yoga is a 30-minute session while yoga and Zumba meet for 60 minutes. Yoga will be held on Monday nights, from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. (bring a mat). Chair yoga will be held Fridays, starting at noon. Zumba is held Tuesday nights from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. Each class meets for 10 weeks. Total cost for Lyndhurst residents is $30 for yoga and Zumba ($50 for non-residents). Chair yoga is free for Lyndhurst residents ($20 for non-residents). Registration can be done in person or via mail. Visit www.lyndhursthealth.org. Checks made payable to the Township of Lyndhurst.
By Friday at 5 p.m., e-mail Editor@LeaderNewspapers.net for the next week’s issue. Press releases are not guaranteed to run. Shorter releases are preferred.